MarkAlan

I read anything and everything

The Sufragette Scandal by Courtney Milan

The Suffragette Scandal - Courtney Milan

This is the next-to-last book in The Brothers Sinister, and I loved it and the baby-free epilogue. The book is something of a feminist manifesto, which I enjoyed enormously. As usual, Milan researches her history, and any departure is explained in her Author's Note.

Here's part of the Author's Note I especially liked: the hat tip to Melissa McEwan's Shakesville:

I found the answer in Melissa McEwan’s Shakesville (http://www.shakesville.com). McEwan describes her work as follows:

"Sometimes it feels like it’s all I ever write about; sometimes it feels like I can’t possibly write about it enough to do the issue justice; often, those feelings exist within me simultaneously. All I ever do is try to empty the sea with this teaspoon; all I can do is keep trying to empty the sea with this teaspoon."

Her analogy inspired me to write Free’s defense of what she does:

“But we’re not trying to empty the Thames,” she told him. “Look at what we’re doing with the water we remove. It doesn’t go to waste. We’re using it to water our gardens, sprout by sprout. We’re growing bluebells and clovers where once there was a desert. All you see is the river, but I care about the roses.”

Here's how the book was reviewed at Romance Novels for Feminists: click here

Marriage Confidential (Harlequin Intrigue)
Debra Webb