MarkAlan

I read anything and everything

Winter be my Shield by Jo Spurrier

Winter be My Shield - Jo Spurrier

There seem to be so many really good fantasy series around now. Black Wolves by Kate Elliott, the Hollow Gods series by Rebecca Levene and there's one more I can't quite remember at the moment,  but I'll fill it in later when I do..

Winter by my Shield, part of the Children of the Black Sun series, belongs right up there. Highly recommended.

It has a common theme with Black Wolves in that part of the plot revolves around leaders who outlaw the use of magic and persecute those who use it. Another of the themes is the often blurred lines between good and evil, and how people are confined by society and the environment.

Here's the blurb:

Sierra has a despised and forbidden gift - she raises power from the suffering of others. Enslaved by the king's torturer, Sierra escapes, barely keeping ahead of Rasten, the man sent to hunt her down. then she falls in with dangerous company: the fugitive Prince Cammarian and his crippled foster-brother, Isidro. But Rasten is not the only enemy hunting them in the frozen north and as Sierra's new allies struggle to identify friend from foe, Rasten approaches her with a plan to kill the master they both abhor. Sierra is forced to decide what price she is willing to pay for her freedom and her life ...

Always a Lawman (Blue River Ranch)
Delores Fossen