MarkAlan

I read anything and everything

Never Tear Us Apart by Monica Murphy

Never Tear Us Apart - Monica  Murphy

This book is Book One of a series. Here's the blurb:

Crazy how eight years can disappear in an instant. One look at Katie Watts, and I’m a fifteen-year-old again—the one who risked everything to save a terrified girl from her twisted kidnapper. She’s grown-up now—beautiful, quiet, composed—and telling her story to the world. A story that involves me in more ways than you can imagine. She used to call me her guardian angel. Sure, I risked my life, but she was worth dying for. I need to make contact with her. Just to ensure that she’s safe. Somehow we reconnect. We become friends . . . but I want more. I want to make her mine. And she wants me too. Does she know who I am? Has she figured me out? Not yet. But she will. In the meantime, I need to make sure that whatever hold that animal had on her is gone. So, yeah, I’m stealing these moments with her. Savoring them. Knowing, dreading, that she’ll soon find out who I really am. And everything will fall apart. All because of that twisted, perverted monster sitting on death row. Her kidnapper. A convicted serial killer. My father.

The book is constructed using separate chapters for each POV; Katie now, Katie then, Will then, Ethan now. The separate chapter for each different POV is a convention that seems to be used more and more. It works well here, but I preferred the "then" chapters. The "now" chapters have just a touch too much anguish, especially those devoted to Ethan (the name Will used in the present to get away from his past).

It's quite a gripping book on the whole.I actually skimmed the bonk scenes because there was a tension there I liked.

Will/Ethan comes off as a bit of an obsessive, and I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with it. I do understand how that could happen, though.

I'm wondering if the TV journalist, Lisa Swanson, who seems to be the catalyst for the key developments in the relationship between Katie/Katherine and Will/Ethan, will get a more fleshed-out treatment in the second book, Never Let You Go.

Marriage Confidential (Harlequin Intrigue)
Debra Webb