MarkAlan

I read anything and everything

Cold-hearted Rake by Lisa Kleypas

Cold-Hearted Rake - Lisa Kleypas

This is my first Lisa Kleypas, and it won't be my last. Very Heyerish with a bad-tempered rake who needs taming, and a heroine who refuses to be tamed. And a sub-plot that's the same. Quite enjoyable, with lots of historical detail. I like that it takes place when railroads were being introduced to England, and the old aristocracy were being forced to cope with a modern world that was undermining their old way of life. Quite a bit of bonking, but I skimmed rather than skipped, because it dealt with the heroine drawing boundaries, and the rake respecting them. Here's the blurb:

A twist of fate . . .

Devon Ravenel, London's most wickedly charming rake, has just inherited an earldom. But his powerful new rank in society comes with unwanted responsibilities . . . and more than a few surprises. His estate is saddled with debt, and the late earl's three innocent sisters are still occupying the house . . . along with Kathleen, Lady Trenear, a beautiful young widow whose sharp wit and determination are a match for Devon's own.

A clash of wills . . .

Kathleen knows better than to trust a ruthless scoundrel like Devon. But the fiery attraction between them is impossible to deny—and from the first moment Devon holds her in his arms, he vows to do whatever it takes to possess her. As Kathleen finds herself yielding to his skillfully erotic seduction, only one question remains:

Can she keep from surrendering her heart to the most dangerous man she's ever known?

The Deputy's Witness (The Protectors of Riker County)
Tyler Anne Snell