MarkAlan

I read anything and everything

Overcoming class prejudice, guilt, and small-town judgmentalism: Redemption at Hawk's Landing by Rita Herron @ritaherron

Redemption at Hawk's Landing (Badge of Justice) - Rita Herron

When I started reading Redemption, Rag Doll by The Four Seasons popped into my head.

When she was just a kid her clothes were hand-me-downs
They always laughed at her when she came into town

Bullying, guilt and class prejudice are the underlying themes in this book

Here's the blurb:

A missing sister, a murdered father and a dangerous reunion years in the making.

The last place Honey Granger wants to be is Tumbleweed, Texas—the judgmental town that made her childhood a living hell. But when Sheriff Harrison Hawk informs her that her alcoholic father has been murdered, she reluctantly joins his investigation. The sexy sheriff has long suspected Honey’s father in his sister’s disappearance and vows to solve both mysteries. But keeping his professional distance from the vulnerable blonde proves nearly impossible. He’ll guard her 24/7 until her life is out of danger. But how will she feel if Harrison proves her father was a murderer?

Honey's father was an alcoholic. When he was sober, he could be a kind, loving father. When he was drunk, which was most of the time, he was physically abusive. Her mother abandoned them both when she was seven, and she wonders why her mother her with her [so do I], and she feels unloved. She grew up wearing raggedy hand-me-downs, and was teased and bullied for it. She escaped as soon as she was eighteen, and built a successful home renovation business.

Sheriff Harrison Hawk remembered Holly. His little sister used to play with her before she suddenly disappeared. Holly's father was immediately suspected, but nothing could be proved. But for Hawk's mother, he was guilty as sin.

When Holly returns to town to take care of arrangements for her murdered father, he has to deal with his feelings for Holly, whom he always thought got a raw deal from the town. He saw how she'd been treated, yet did nothing. He also has to deal with feelings of guilt arising from his sister's disappearance.

But he's not the only one: his brothers, as he finds out, also feel guilty. And their mother, who hated Holly, has her own secret, which proves to be explosive.

The suspenseful plot is very well done, with surprising, but logical, twists and turns.

The themes of class prejudice and guilt are fleshed out well. Holly, the Hawk brothers and their mother all go on a roller-coaster journey of standing up to their inner demons.

Forgotten Pieces (The Protectors of Riker County)
Tyler Anne Snell