MarkAlan

I read anything and everything

Dark Whispers by Debra Webb

Dark Whispers (Faces of Evil) - Debra Webb

Basically the perfect Intrigue romsus. I really like almost everything Debra Webb writes. There's one passage I particularly like,where the detective hired by Natalie tells her about his secret past that cost him a career in law, and her response is perfect and non-judgemental:

“So you worked your way through school,” Natalie offered. “There’s no shame in hard work. College is expensive. Law school is even more costly.”
She couldn’t hide the automatic guilt she clearly felt for growing up rich when she heard stories like his. No matter, when she heard the rest that guilt would shift into outrage and disgust. What the hell?
“I worked as an escort.” He figured she would comprehend the full implications of the statement without him going into graphic detail.
She sipped her tea, cleared her throat and took a breath. “Do you mean—?”
“I mean exactly what you think I mean. The Alabama State Bar used its morals clause to preclude my admission to the bar based on my character and that was that.”
“You did this for...?”
If she blinked too hard the frozen expression on her face would no doubt shatter. Clint almost laughed. He was a damned good investigator. Whether he’d delivered pizza or pleasure during college should be of no consequence to the job he had to do now. “Five years.”
The duration of his early career startled her and the dainty cup almost slipped from her slim fingers. “I see.”
No. She didn’t see at all. There were other things he could tell her, like the fact that he earned more in his first year than the average attorney did in his first four. He’d had a high-end operation, not a street corner. His clients had been the rich and famous of Alabama. By the time he hit law school he had invested widely and wisely. He could retire now, if he chose, on the investments he’d made. None of that would matter. He saw the horror and disbelief in her eyes.
He stood, fury and frustration beating in his pulse, and buttoned his jacket. “You have my number. Let me know if you still require my services. If not, I’ll ask the boss to send someone else.”
“Sit down, Clint.”
Whatever hesitation she’d felt before, there was none in her blue eyes now. He, on the other hand, hesitated. He wasn’t apologizing for his past.
“Please,” she added.
He ripped the jacket button loose once more and sat. His boss, he still had to work at reminding himself not to call Jess chief, would be the first one to say he didn’t care for taking orders. He preferred giving them. That said, he wanted this new venture to work out for all concerned—including the lady staring at him right now. Whether she realized it or not, she needed him.
“I don’t care what you did to survive in college. We all did things we might not have done at any other time in our lives.” She smiled. “Kudos to you. Law school was tough as hell and still you made it. The State Bar’s decision was unfair and antiquated in my opinion. If you ever decide to fight that decision, I would be more than happy to represent you.”

There is so much crap floating around about sex work, and this was refreshing.

Here's the blurb:

A chilling new spin-off series from USA TODAY bestselling author Debra Webb sure to keep you up all night…

Former homicide detective Clint Hayes has his first client as a private investigator: a fragile beauty he isn't sure he can trust. An injury has left Natalie Drummond with gaps in her memory, and she sees and hears things that aren't there. But she's sure she shot an intruder in her Birmingham mansion. So where's the body, the gun, the evidence? When it's clear someone is trying to kill his vulnerable client, Clint appoints himself her protector, working overtime not to fall for her. But someone is dead set that Natalie never regains her memories—or makes new ones with Clint.

Natalie has a memory loss because of an accident, and her memories are need to be triggered. Her insecurity about her worth, and Clint's hesitancy to become involved with her because of his past lend a very believable tension in their relationship despite the mutual attraction.

Texas Showdown (Cattlemen Crime Club)
Barb Han